When I read that LinkedIn had published the Top 10 Overused Buzzwords Words in 2012, I quickly went to my LinkedIn profile.
Uh, oh. I’m guilty of using using Responsible, but only once, so may I be excused? LinkedIn breaks out the words globally and in the U.S.
The top three words in 2011 topped the list this year, too: Creative, Organizational and Effective.
Defining the Words
I noticed, however, that LinkedIn once again didn’t provide any definitions for these words, which could be helpful in finding substitutes for your profile.
I hope that you will find my definitions useful for LinkedIn’s Top 10 in the U.S for 2012:
- Creative. I got a gold star for a drawing I did in kindergarten.
- Organizational. I throw everything in the bottom drawer every night so I have a clean desk.
- Effective. I get things done in due time.
- Motivated. I always hustle because I need the paycheck.
- Extensive Experience. I’ve had more jobs than I can count.
- Track Record. I was never fired from a job.
- Innovative. I tried something new once and it worked.
- Responsible. No one else wanted to do it.
- Analytical. I can always find someone to figure the thing out.
- Problem solving. If I wait long enough the problem will go away.
OK, you’ve guessed that I just wanted to have a little fun. But it wouldn’t hurt to take a look at your profile, and your resume, too. Companies can only hire so many creative, organizational and effective people.
If you want to stand out on LinkedIn, you’ll need to find other words that help distinguish you from the pack.